Friday, March 26, 2010

MANUKA MEMORIES.


The family and horses in front of the Manuka homestead.

When Aunt Judith Treweeke, (nee McClymont and formerly Banks) who is Robert's only daughter, was shown this picture she said
"I remember my Dad(Bert) saying they 'selected' a farm area away from the station water, and put down a well for the house and perhaps the stock too. It must have been 1870 or 1860 I think.
Dad's father (Alexander) was known as a 'gentleman farmer' and liked to read all night, it was said. Seem to think this trait was certainly passed down!
I remember visiting Manuka when Uncle Jim lived there with Aunt Isa and Agnes and there were two huge almond trees in the garden. Cam McClymont and I spent hours cracking nuts between two half bricks."
The picture in the top left hand corner has come to us entitled "Under the Almond Tree" I think we can see the swing too!
Judith is coming to the reunion with all three of her sons Cam, Rod and Duncan Banks and has been a wealth family knowledge for Lesley and I to call on for this special event.
Robyn Litchfield ( Daughter of Norman, the fourteenth born) told me yesterday that when one a member of the family last visited the house it was not in use and was derelict.
The old Manuka wind up gramaphone will be here for you to look at when you come to the reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment